Friday, January 1, 2010

A Brand New Year

A very happy New Year to everyone in the World.

As always, it's time for new resolutions that can't be met, new ideas to pursue, new changes to everyday life and new hope to go further. And we march on forward. I hope my teams to win trophies, I hope I do well at work, I hope I love my near and dear and I hope I'll grow spiritually.

But I refuse to divulge my resolution. It is my resolution, and it will remain mine. I know this makes me a coward and also gives me an easy way out, coz nobody will know If I break it, but I'm going to keep this as a secret.

I hope all is well with everyone, and I hope this new year brings fresh hope and joy to every one of you. Good luck and God bless.

Methods of Punching.

When we were kids, I had an obsession with superior fighting techniques and antique Oriental Fighting movies. I would forever be thinking about the eagle technique of delivering a single knock out blow by the flying eagle pose or the tiger claws.

I've been involved in few scraps while I was a kid, but after a couple of them, I noticed that none of the Jackee Chan, Bruce Lee or Jet Li moves really helped me out. By the time I got my tiger claws move up and running, I was usually knocked out with a solid punch or jab. Further painful injuries led to increased reasoning that fighting is injurious to health, and I should really give up fighting with Japanese methods. And so I owed to fight with tried and tested Indian methods.

While we discussed strategies to throw punches, we finally decided on two fail safe methods. Nothing like the solid close fisted punch with the intent on making the contact on the opponent's face with the knuckles of the fist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scheme_human_hand_bones-en.svg


But far more devastating is the second technique. Reserved for the worst of enemies, this sacred and secret method of punching has been passed from generation of Indian kids to another. This involves placing your thumb between the middle finger and the ring finger pointing in the direction of the opponent, in such a way that the tip of the thumb is visible to the opponent. This thumb kind of acts like the pointed arrow in the punch and all the force of the punch resides in the thumb.

We had agreed that the second technique will only be used on the baddest baddies of the planet and the scum of the earth. And with me mastering these techniques, my fortunes in fights rose alarmingly well.

Looking back.

Although I never questioned the validity of the punching techniques at that time, looking back, I'm mystified by the placing of the thumb. While I initially thought that this was probably a regional thing, or even a local school technique, I was taken aback when comrades in North India reported that they had followed the 'thumb' technique. I had not asked about the punching techniques to Americans or Europeans, but I'm pretty sure that everybody at some point of time have practiced the sacred art of thumb punching.

Now that I look back, the placing of the thumb sounds even stupid to me, as by exposing so little of my thumb, I'm only going to injure my thumb if it makes meaningful contact. I have tried to find an answer to this conundrum, but so far I'm yet to find a suitable explanation for it. Is there some sort of a Darth Vader and the dark side effect that can be achieved by placing the thumb in between the fingers while punching?

Is there a mini big bang explosion that could happen when the thumb makes contact with the opponent? I don't know, but I'm eager to find out if you ever resorted to the using the second technique while punching? If you did, did you ever try to understand why you used the thumb?

Comment please.

Youtube link of the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-c9qTbBJg
I'M A DISCO DANCER.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Customary comment :P