Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cell phones, Meetings and Randy Pausch.

Guitar and a Friend.

As I write this blog, I'm listening to an awesome version of 'Battle Hymn of Republic' by Chet Atkins, with a few variations. I like the song not only because the lyrics are excellent and they put the living fear into you, but also because 'Glory Glory Man Utd' , the anthem of Man Utd, the best football team in the world, is a parody of this song. Thanks for that excellent youtube link, my friend. You'll be warmly remembered. (Others can hear this version by searching for 'Battle Hymn of Republic Chet Atkins').

Cell Phones and Meetings.

Today, I was fortunate enough to attend a meeting with one of the VP's of my employer. Some big head who heads some big vertical in a headstrong company. A lot of heads in there, and fittingly, his head was littered with snowy white hair. To be fair to the bloke, most of the meetings turn out to be a damp squib, but this one did not.

Most of today's VP's, are so high strung that it's difficult to relate to their clever little motivational speech. But the bloke who came today, made a decent effort to speak to us, and did a concise and a clear speech. He never really roamed away from the subject, made no special effort to underline his 'VPness', and generally commanded the floor well. Till....

The first cell phone ring went off without a warning. The dame, who owned the cell phone, at least had the cell phone in her hand and cut the call in no time. I could see a little wince in the face of the VP, although he took the call in his stride and proceeded with his speech. We were about 25 people in the room, and every one of them were my colleagues for at least an year.

To be fair on them, I could see a couple of late bloomers, reaching out for their cell phones and making sure they had their cell phones on vibration mode. The VP, again held center stage for 5 minutes till, the second cell phone ring went off. This time, real loud (Those damn iPhones). The big guy had to pause for a second to actually let the owner of the cell phone, X, cut the call. I was beginning to like my VP.

Now I'm not sure how smart X is, I'm guessing he's a REC Graduate, but that should have been a pointer, if there ever was a pointer. Unbelievably, X still had not turned the Vibration mode on, and his iPhone went off the second time. If I was the VP, I would have had to make an effort not to fire the guy, right there. Fifteen seconds later, X's iPhone did the 'loud Ring-Ring' tone to make sure X, VP and everybody in the room know that X got a voice message. VP was still smiling. Fifteen seconds later, incredibly, the same iPhone rang loud enough to indicate the keypad was locked.

I'm not sure about the blokes here, excluding Professionalism, Courtesy and every damn intelligent thing, turning off the Cell phone (yes I hear you, and an iPhone too) volume or activating the Vibration mode during an important meeting, is to be classified as an item of Common sense, the last time I checked.

Well, no wonder, Common Sense ain't common anymore!!!

The VP was still smiling on his way out of the conference call. Good on you, mate.

Randy Pausch.

Randy Pausch was an American professor of computer science, human-computer interaction and design at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was also the author of the famous "The Last Lecture" speech on September 18, 2007 at Carnegie Mellon.

The speech was over an hour's length and it's available on Youtube.com on Carnegie Mellon Channel in youtube. Search for 'Randy Paush the last lecture' and you should be able to find out easily. The way that he had approached the speech knowing fully well that his entire audience knew that he had only 5 more months to live was commendable.

And the way he ended his speech for the 'real' intended audience was one right out of the James Cameron school of best plots. The speech was truly remarkable for the courage of the man himself. There are a lot of cynics out there, who claim, that Randy never had a thing to fear in his life. The death is the biggest of them all. Rock on Randy.

*But for all his brilliance, and for a guy who had everything covered, it's a pity that he chose to neglect the most important of them all. His soul. You lived a great life in this earth Randy. But a guy like you ought to know that, this is just the beginning for the greater things in your soul's life after death. (This is kind of spooky like the mummy in 'The Mummy' saying with a gruff voice 'Death is only the beginning', but that's just how the way it is)

*For people who don't know me and try to comment on my blog, I'm a believer of Christian faith and I believe in Heaven and Hell. As the description of my blog goes, 'This blog, is my blog, is my blog', and I have voiced my opinion about Randy's belief. Please go easy on your comments and make sure it's without any abuse relating to my faith and please please please, don't make me delete them. (Kind of rich coming from me, as I've got 0 Comments on my previous posts so far, but still, the disclaimer is in place).

Youtube link of the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ylrDwCQj4
Showboating aside, Tommy Emmanuel, take a bow.


3 comments:

Usha Nanjundaswamy said...

Good one buddy.. you becoming a fan of VP aa :).. Randy rocks too.. keep going..

'Stung by the splendor of a sudden thought!' said...

Luved the post, especially the bit on cell phones....It's strange how people get 'all important' calls ONLY during meetings, while at their desks the only calls they get are from ICICI - "do u want a credit card"! :P

Either your VP is really cool, or he's had his fair share of experiences with the appalling dearth of common sense highly prevalent nowadays and decided for his own good-health-no-BP-long-life to get used to it :))

PS: Tommy Emmanuel - a genius...when u watch his fingers, especially the left - u realize they 'play'...literally

Manu Akula said...

I hate Cell phones. They are more like tracking devices.