Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Plum cake project - Post 1

Ever since I saw the film Julie and Julia, I've been trying to do a cooking project and write a blog about it. It's fairly obvious that I'm not following a Julia Child recipe book, and I hardly have the finesse and writing skills of Julie Powell, but here I am, with an objective. I'm going to make entries in this blog about the progress of my Plum cake project. Although I'm hardly Michelle Peters Jones to maintain a cook book blog (You should check her blogs, she's my multi talented Arsenal loving friend. She's awesome and I'm serious), I'm going to give this a try.

4 Weeks, 1 Dish, that's my goal. The plum cake. Christmas is never complete for Indians without a Cherry Plum cake. I don't know the origins of the tradition, but if there's no Plum cake, then it's a fraud Christmas. After celebrating yet another fraud Christmas, to placate the effect of dismantling my Christmas tree, I've decided to make the darned cake myself.

Well, I get by with a little help from my friends. I'll get more assistance as this goes on, but as of now, I've soaked the raisins and the dates in rum and wine. Bacardi Black Rum and Yellowtail wine with a cup of daised raisins and dates. Soaked and left in room temperature for 3 weeks. Today's date 4th January.

Cake making date is tentatively set for January 22nd.

Click here for pictures of Plum Cake

No comments: